The TRIX (or Triple Exponential Average) was developed in the early eighties by Jack Hutson, editor of the magazine “Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities”.
The dream of Hutson was to get an indicator that could filter the false signals in a trading system.
The TRIX is an oscillator of momentum that displays the percentage variation of a triple exponentially weighted moving average, calculated on the close price of an asset.
For its characteristics, traders use the Trix to identify trend reversal, there are other alternatives like the CMO indicator oscillator of momentum.
TRIX: What is it?
The TRIX can take positive or negative values, fluctuating around its average value.
It can filter the small settling movements of action, even those little significant compared to its main trends.
To do this, you need to choose a certain number of periods on which to calculate the moving average.
The TRIX will filter all shorter cycles of the chosen period.
Usually, traders set the exponential moving averages to 15 periods. Each trader must customize settings based on reference timescale.
Every time the Trix crosses the zero line, we have a trading signal.
Whenever the oscillator changes from negative to positive values, we have a buy signal.
From positive values to negative, we have a sell signal.
In addition, it is possible to plot a moving average of a shorter period and use it to expect the movements of the Trix and generating trading signals.
However, the method described above is not very effective for trading. A more effective alternative is the use of the Trix exploiting the divergences between oscillator and prices.
The TRIX can, in fact, be used to expect the reversal points within a trend by exploiting the divergence of the same regarding the trend-line prices.
More from Finance Strategy System
- Bollinger Bands Essential Indicator
- Intermarket Analysis || Stocks, Bonds & Commodities – Tutorial
- The Vortex Indicator || Tutorial(Opens in a new browser tab)
- CCI Indicator | Commodity Channel Index | 2020 Tutorial
- Automated Trading System || The Essential Tutorial for Dummies
- Keltner Channel Indicator – Tutorial 2020
- CMO Indicator | Chande Momentum Oscillator | Tutorial
- The McClellan Summation Index || Technical Analysis
- Coppock Curve Indicator
- All about the Trend in Technical Analysis || Essential Tutorial
- External sources: Wikipedia